When you can’t find a table the size you need – build one! Joe and I built this table in under an hour and are so pleased with how it turned out. It was easy and I got my inspiration from a very expensive piece from Joss & Main. If someone would of told me I’d be building furniture this year, I would of laughed in their face. Never would I think we could tackle something like this, but if we can do it, you can too!
If you follow me on Instagram you might know that I have been on the hunt for a sofa table for awhile. I thought I found a winner when I scored this apothecary table at Target on clearance for only $60. It’s a great table and I love it’s look but after four weeks I had to be honest with myself and admit it just didn’t work for the space. It was not long enough to be centered with the couch, and was also a little too wide. I had to bring our couch forward just to have enough walk space between the table and stools at the breakfast bar (only old picture is from Christmas).
After looking online and in several stores with no luck, I knew I would just have to build one myself. I’ve never even came close to tackling this big of a project, but I feel I’m pretty crafty and it wouldn’t be that hard. Last week, I was on Joss & Main (a daily routine) and saw this beautiful console table.
The price was $610 – no way I would be spending that, let alone the original price of over a grand! So I began looking at the piece and brainstorming how I could DIY it. Obviously I’m not a welder, or even know one, so the metal legs were out. But I have seen on Pinterest the use of Rustoleums Oil Rubbed Bronze metallic spray paint to achieve the metal look so I wasn’t discouraged. Next, I showed the photo to Joe and simply said “you think we could make this?” I totally expected him to say “no” or “yah right” but to my surprise he said “yah sure, we’ll go get the wood tomorrow” Whoohoo!! I measured how long and how tall I wanted the table and drew out a sketch to take with us to Lowe’s.
I tweaked the inspiration table just a bit by bringing the second shelf more towards the middle instead of all the way at the bottom. With the shelf in the middle I could display some decor and accessories without worrying about the dog, vacuum or someone’s feet knocking them over.
(list contains some affiliate links)
- (2) 2x10x8
- (3) 2x2x8
- Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze Spray Paint
- Wood filler
- Spray Polyurethane
- Heavy Duty Nails
- Minwax Stain – color of choice, we used Special Walnut
- Sanding Block
- Sponge Brushes
- Steel Wool
This whole project only cost us about $20 (with extra wood left over) – a fraction of the $60 I just put back in my pocket after returning the apothecary table. It was so worth the return! Sometimes you just have to be honest with yourself and realize a piece of furniture isn’t working for your space, even if you love it so.
I measured the legs to be 31″ each and Joe cut them. After each cut I sanded down the edges and corners. Each shelf was cut to 56″. You can always change these measurements to work for your own space. Next, I layed all the wood out on the ground of how I wanted the table to look and showed Joe. We started attaching the legs first with heavy duty nails. My first idea was to use screws, but I really didn’t feel like drilling all those holes. So we opted for the nails, being careful they didn’t split the smaller pieces of wood.
Each leg was measured inward 6″ from the edge of the top shelf. Next, we measured, cut, and nailed into place the two smaller pieces on top and bottom. Honestly at this point I just held up the wood, drew a line and handed it to Joe. No real measuring, but I think the tops were 10″ and bottom were about 7 3/4″. When the table was done it swayed just a little, so Joe suggested the extra pieces in the centers. Luckily a piece of scrap wood fit perfectly, and we used it to “measure” a piece for the other side as well. Each of these pieces are nailed in from the top and bottom for extra strength.
With my mouse sander I sanded the table top, shelf, corners, edges, and any markings on the wood. Next, I used wood filler to fill in the gaps between each piece of the legs to make it appear like one piece (this also helps to make it appear like metal instead of wood). I’ve never used wood filler before, but if you can spread butter than its pretty easy. Just fill in the gaps and then scrape of any excess. It dries fairly quickly depending on how much you use. Once it was dry I sanded the areas with a sanding block and applied more wood filler if needed, and repeated the steps.
Next, I covered the table top and lower shelf with paper so I could spray paint. At this point I wish I would of painted and stained everything before we put it together, but because it was our first attempt at building a piece of furniture I wasn’t sure if we’d even complete it. Oh well.
Also, I would of bought two cans of spray paint – the wood really soaked it up and on my second coat I ran out. Luckily I only had only half a leg to finish and I just used some left over black craft paint. After the legs dried I pulled off all the paper and started staining the wood. I used Minwax Special Walnut, the same stain that I use for almost every project. Once it was dry, I used a fine sanding block and distressed the edges a little. Next, I applied two coats of polyurethane, rubbing the wood with stool wool between each coat and as a final step.
I let the table dry for a good 12 hours and then brought it inside. It fit perfectly! I added some quick decor for this photo, but I’m sure I’ll switch it up tomorrow and though out the seasons.
I still can’t believe we even did this and that it worked! We now have a place for our drinks while watching tv and the best part is – we built it together!