I’ve been wanting to DIY a bench for our dining room for almost a year now and I finally did it! It took me a little while to plan it all out, but my idea came to life very well and I’m excited to share how to create your own floating diy dining bench!
DIY DINING BENCH
- support brackets
- screws for brackets
- 3/4″ plywood
- 1 x 4 x 8
- stud finder
- tape measure
- nail gun
- wood filler
- Use stud finder and pencil to mark studs in the wall
- Measure 18″ (or desired height) up from the floor and mark with pencil on each stud
- Hold up bracket on stud and at height mark and trace screw holes (Home Depot has a great video)
- Pre-drill holes and then attach with required screw with drill
- When installing the next bracket, use a scrap piece of wood and level to insure they are even height
Once all the brackets are installed, cut plywood to desired depth and lay on top. My bench is about 13′ long, so I had Lowe’s cut down a piece of 4’x8′ plywood to two pieces of 22″. So I was left with two 22″ x 8′ pieces. I measured and cut down my second piece to fit.
Then, pre drill and attach screws underneath to be sure wood doesn’t move and is properly secured. Each bracket can support up to 600 pounds and I have used five.
As a final step to make the bench appear more professional, I attached two 1 x 4 x 8 (one cut down to 5 feet) pieces of common board to the front with my nail gun. Use wood filler to fill in the seams and paint.
SEE THE FULL REVEAL OF OUR DINING ROOM HERE!
We are loving this bench so far! It has totally changed the feel of our room and I love how relaxed it is. Plus it can be for dining, a window seat, or a great corner to curl up and read a book. I’ve caught Joe sitting here a couple times! 🙂
What do you think? Is this something you could do? Share with me!
LIKE THIS DIY DINING BENCH? PIN IT & SAVE FOR LATER!