With our recent dining room makeover, I thought I would share how easy it was to create the board and batten. I planned mine out so there was hardly any cutting or measuring wood involved. There are so many tutorials on Pinterest and the internet on how to do this, but as I mentioned, I wanted to do it the easy way.
(post contains affiliate links, see disclosure)
EASY DIY BOARD AND BATTEN
- 1 x 3 x 6 common board
- nail gun
- measuring tape
- wood filler
- Using a measuring tape, decide how far apart each board will be and mark with pencil. I did mine at 23″. Side note: I’m not using any “board” covering for the walls. I decided to create the illusion of board and batten using common board and our existing walls. The common boards are 1″ (actual size 0.75) thick just like our baseboards, so they rest on top of our baseboards.
- Use level and nail gun to attach boards to each wall. Because I used common board, it’s very light so I didn’t worry about nailing each board into a stud. I used about five nails for each piece of wood.
- Because of our dining bench, I cut a few pieces shorter being sure they were level with the tops of the other full piece boards. Also in the corner, I eyeballed the spacing to create a natural transition to the adjoining wall.
- Attach top railing across all boards to complete the board and batten look. Here you can use a thicker or thinner board for added interest or character. I used the same size boards to create a more modern look.
- Fill all nail holes with wood filler or spackling. I used caulk to finish off the edges of each board for a more clean and professional look.
Because I removed the shiplap from our previous dining design, I had a few more spots to fill on the wall. Then, I painted the walls and boards Filtered Shade by Valspar. The caulking was the
hardest longest part of the whole project. But, it was all worth it in the end.
SEE OUR FULL DINING ROOM REVEAL HERE!
What do you think? Is this something you could do? Share with me!
LIKE THIS EASY DIY BOARD AND BATTEN? PIN IT & SAVE FOR LATER!