This faux fireplace mantel is just temporary and will not be the location of the actual fireplace we will be installing hopefully next year. So, I didn’t want to spend a lot of money or spend a lot of time on this project. I used everything we already had, including scrap wood and paint from the garage. The tile is actually wallpaper that I had left over from another project. Now that the faux fireplace mantel has been completed, I think it looks great and would look great all year round too!
This project was so fast, I didn’t take any pictures throughout the process, but I did take a video! I was able to put the whole thing together in less than an hour and most of that time was spent sanding down the scrap wood. As I mentioned, this project was completely free and I kind of just figured it out as I went along.
- (2) 1x6x8
- (1) 1x3x8
- (1) 2x2x4
- tape measure
- miter saw or jigsaw
- nail gun
- stud finder
- black semi-gloss paint
- paint brush
- wallpaper, I used leftover from this project!
- cut (3) 1×6 pieces to the desired height of faux fireplace surround, I did ours at 42 inches
- cut (1) 1×6 pieces to 48 inches for the mantelpiece
- cut (1) 2×2 to 42 inches
- cut (2) 1×3 pieces to 42 inches
- find studs in the wall and attach each board with nailgun and nails, using a level
- prime and paint desired color
Because this was not going to be permanent, I did not want to remove our baseboards. Instead, I nailed a 1×3 directly on top of the baseboard (1/2 inch thick) before attaching the sides directly onto the wall. Next, I nailed the other 1×3 on top, and then the 2×2 for more support of the top mantelpiece which is also a 1×6. You can use nails or screws to attach the top.
For the interior section of the faux fireplace, I was planning on using sheets of faux brick that would also be painted black. But, I remembered I had faux tiled wallpaper from a previous project and I’m so glad I used this instead. Extra tip: attach the wallpaper to the wall first before nailing boards in place. Prime and paint boards before nailing to the wall also. If I would have thought about that first, It would have made this project a little bit easier for me! So, learn from my mistakes. 🙂